In This Article:
- When and Why Should I Upgrade?
- What are Some of the Things I Should Know Before I Upgrade?
- How Do I Upgrade My Console?
- Before Starting the Upgrade Process
- Running the Installer
- After the Install
- Common Upgrade Pit Falls
When/ Why Should I Upgrade?
Upgrading your Console periodically ensures that you have the newest features and that the features you use the most are in the best health. While we can’t say you should upgrade the minute a release comes out we do recommend checking the release notes when a new release comes out especially if you are experiencing an issue and support has informed you that the fix is up and coming.
We are adding new features often to make your experience better. If you have a question if an upgrade is right for you, if you are unsure about the process, or encounter an error or something preventing the upgrade from being successful please contact the support team at firstname.lastname@example.org
What Are Some Things I Should Know Before I Upgrade?
- ALWAYS upgrade the console to the same or higher version than your endpoints.
- ALWAYS upgrade your console first.
- ALWAYS obtain a valid new license EACH TIME you upgrade to a new version.
- If you have a SQL server in high availability mode, you will need to remove it from high availability before upgrading your console.
- If your SQL database recovery mode is set to FULL you may experience longer upgrade times causing a timeout. Therefore, make sure that the mode is set to SIMPLE and not Full.
- The user that the upgrade will be performed on must have SA privileges for the upgrade to be successful. For more information on Privileges see this: https://support.spirion.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000827251
- While it is not explicitly stated we do recommend that an endpoint be rebooted after the upgrade or installation.
- If your system has pending windows updates allow those to finish and the system to reboot before continuing your upgrade process.
How Do I Upgrade my Console?
To upgrade to console, do the following steps in order. If you have issues completing a step, stop and do not attempt to upgrade. Instead contact support at the email above:
Before Starting the Upgrade Process
- Back up Your Database
- Take screen shots of the settings in your Console Administration Tool (CAT)
- Double check to make sure that you meet all the system requirements. System requirements are found here: https://support.spirion.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000019092#Prerequisite%20Software
- Double check that all IIS Roles and Services are installed and that they are working properly. Those are found here: https://support.spirion.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000018512
- Close the CAT, Server Management, and SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS).
- Make sure that SSMS is not attempting to connect to a database.
- Download a fresh copy of your license from here: https://my.spirion.com/download.
- Remove all Client Updates from the Console’s Admin Tab: https://my.spirion.com/Help/EnterpriseConsole/index.htm#3483.htm%3FTocPath%3DAdmin%7CEndpoint%2520Updates%7C_____0
Running The Installer
Instructions for running the installer can be found here: https://support.spirion.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000019092#Upgrade . The process is similar to when you first installed Spirion. Please follow the directions carefully. If you run into a validation error note the error and take a look at this article: https://support.spirion.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000019051 if you are still confused contact Spirion support.
Make sure that you go all the way through the installer and receive a finished message before exiting or it could corrupt the installation.
After The Install
After you have upgraded or installed the console doublecheck all your console fine tuning settings so that your console remains healthy in the future. You can find that article here: https://support.spirion.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000961972-Post-Install-Console-Performance-Tuning
Common Troubleshooting Pit Falls
After upgrading to version 10 Console when opening the Console from a browser on another machine other than the Console server you get error 403, or if when opening the Console from the localhost/console you get the error 403.14, you will need to run the following hotfix
After upgrading the Console, please navigate in a browser to the URL of the Console server/services page. Once on that page select the Test Services Connection link. If when testing that link you receive the following error, that is caused by the CAT being configured to allow https connections for the Services application however there is no binding for https configured in IIS Manager.
If you do receive the following error when testing the Services connection please either change the configuration in the CAT to only allow http connections or add the binding for https in IIS Manager.
Source Error: An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.
Stack Trace: [InvalidOperationException: Could not find a base address that matches scheme https for the endpoint with binding...