In This Article:
- Automatic Pause and Resume
- Understanding the Settings in Automatic Pause and Resume
- Launching a Task with Automatic Pause and Resume Active & Setting A Time
- Manual Pause and Resume
- Pausing Task
- Resuming Task
Pause and Resume restricts an endpoints ability to run a task to a specified window of time. The restriction can be set either automatically through a setting or manually through a command sent to the endpoint from a console.
Automatic Pause and Resume
Automatic Pause\Resume is a setting that restricts an endpoints ability to run a task to a specified window of time.
- A Search Window repeats every 24 hours
- A Search Window can be specified by using a pair of settings that must be configured in a System Policy that is applied to the endpoint:
Understanding the Settings in Automatic Pause and Resume & Setting a Time
- Both settings use a 24-hour clock.
- Default Value: -1
- Valid Values:
- Must be in format of HH/MM or -1. There is no “day” value. Just hours and minutes. If HH is not between 0 and 23 including hour 0 and 23 or MM is not between 0 and 59 including 0 and 59, then, the search window will not be created.
- If both settings -1, then search window will not be created.
- If both settings are not -1, then a valid Search Window is created.
- If SearchWindowBegin is -1 and SearchWindowEnd has valid value, then the search window will begin at is midnight (0000) of the current day.
- If SearchWindowEnd is -1 and SearchWindowBegin is valid value, then SearchWindowEnd will be set to midnight (0000) of the next day.
- A search window can include midnight. In other words, the start time can be less than the end time.
- SearchWindowBegin is -1 and SeachWindowEnd is 0900. The search window would be 12:00am to 9:00am every day.
- SearchWindowBegin is 2100 and SearchWindowEnd is 0300. This search window is 9:00p.m to 3: 00a.m every day.
Launching a Task with Automatic Pause and Resume Active
- If a task is set to launch outside of a designated search window, then the behavior will depend on the type of task set to launch. The two main types of affected tasks are “Search Now” tasks and “Scheduled” tasks.
- If the task that is set to be launched is a “Search Now” task, then the task will launch when the specified search window comes around again.
- A “Scheduled” task will behave differently. How a “Scheduled” task behaves depends on how that task was initially set up in the configuration window and more specifically what settings you selected in the “When task is missed” option.
- If the specified launch time is inside the search window the task will launch and a search will begin. However, if the task is running and the SearchWindowEnd time comes around then the task will stop running until the SearchWindowBegin time comes.
Manual Pause and Resume
Manual Pause and Resume is functionally like Automatic Pause and Resume the difference is in how that is executed mechanically. Instead of a specified search window created using two settings a manual command is sent from the console to the searching endpoint.
- The “Pause” command pauses all tasks on the endpoint.
- The “Resume” command resumes only the selected tasks.
Pausing a Task
- To “Pause” a task on an endpoint do the following:
- Navigate to the “Status” tab on the console
- On the “Status” tab select the endpoint to be paused from the endpoint list
- Select the same endpoint in the top half of the “Status” pane
- Mouse down to the bottom half of the “Status” pane and select the “Tasks” tab
- On either the bottom half and on the running task OR in the top half on the endpoint right click and go to Pause Search>Pause Search
Only “Search” tasks can be paused. After pausing a search, a new task will appear called “Pause Task” on the task tab of the “Status” pane. When a search is successfully paused it will show as paused on the task row in the task tab.
Resume a Task
To Resume a paused task right click on a paused task on the Task tab in the “Status” pane and click “Resume”. Note here that you can only resume a paused task and you can only resume by task and not by endpoint. When resumed it clicked it will resume ONLY the paused task.