Posted: 9/14/2009, Updated: 12/28/2010
When Identity Finder is launched or a search is initiated, an attempt is made to load specific Windows components (e.g., MAPI32.dll) that allow the searching of e-mail messages and attachments. If these Windows components become outdated, corrupted, or are replaced by another application, Identity Finder may encounter errors or abruptly exit.
To resolve this issue, perform the following steps:
- Use the Microsoft utility, "fixmapi" to reset the Outlook state. This utility is provided with every copy of Windows. To run fixmapi, click Start->Run and type "fixmapi" (without the quotes) and click OK. There is no visual indication that it ran or that it did anything and it has no user interaction.
- After clicking OK, wait 30 seconds
- Reboot the computer.
- After restart, launch Identity Finder to confirm that the issue has been resolved.
- If the issue persists, update the client software to the latest version.
If the issue persists after performing the steps above, review the articles listed in the Additional Resources section below.
For additional information or troubleshooting, refer to the following KB artciles:
- Unable to find MAPI32.dll
- Basic troubleshooting steps (Identity Finder for Windows and Mac)
- Manually Creating an Error Report on Windows