Posted: 2/9/2010, Updated: 2/8/2011
When an issue is encountered while using any edition of the Windows or Mac client software, it will be necessary to gather sufficient logging and diagnostic information to resolve the issue or request assistance from the support team. Before contacting support, review and perform the steps below and search the Knowledge Base (KB) for possible resolutions.
To obtain the necessary information to diagnose and resolve the issue, perform the following steps:
- Ensure that logging is enabled for the client application and that all information types are being logged. Instructions for enabling logging for Windows or Mac are available in the respective user guides.
- Run the application until the undesirable behavior is observed.
- Review the software logs for information including informational messages, warnings, or errors. For Identity Finder for Windows, select the Configuration tab, click the down-arrow on the Logging button and select View Current Log. For Identity Finder for Mac, use Finder to navigate to the user folder: /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/Identity Finder/Identity Finder Mac Edition/logs where USERNAME is the name of the currently logged on user.
- If the messages in the log do not provide a clear explanation of the issue, browse or search this site for Knowledge Base (KB) articles related to the issue.
- If no resolution could be found in the knowledge base and the problem remains unresolved, please gather the following information:
- A list of resources consulted (e.g., documents, kb articles). This will allow the support team to understand the steps taken to resolve the issue and will eliminate any unnecessary instructions. Additionally, this will allow the support team to update any relevant documentation after the issue is resolved to make it easier for other customers to get help.
- Client log(s). As noted in Step 2 above, there should be a detailed log from the run where the undesirable/unexpected behavior occurred. Providing this log will allow the support team to get a better understanding of the search that was performed. Use the Gather Data function to obtain the relevant information.
- An error report (if applicable). On Windows, an error report may have been automatically created by Identity Finder but if it was not, and the application is not responding, a manual error report can be created for the support team. On Mac, an error report may have been automatically created by the operating system and placed in /Users/USERNAME/Library/Logs/CrashReporter or /Library/Logs/CrashReporter where USERNAME is the name of the currently logged on user. The Mac error log will be named similarly to "Identity Finder_2008-10-19-135213_machinename.crash". If the application is not responding, execute a Force Quit and copy the contents of that window into a new document.
- A detailed description of the steps taken, the behavior observed, and an explanation of the issue to be resolved. This will allow the support team to attempt to replicate the issue and provide as detailed a resolution as possible.
Once all of the documentation is gathered, open a support ticket and include everything in the Description field of the ticket or as attachments, as appropriate. To submit attachments, it is necessary to first register with the support portal.