When searching Microsoft Office files (versions Office 97-2003), Identity Finder utilizes the Windows IFilter to extract the text from Word, Excel and PowerPoint files (e.g., .doc, .xls and .ppt).
- This document does not apply to Office 2007 files in the Open XML format (e.g., .docx, .xlsx, .pptx) as Identity Finder uses its own internal filter for those file types.
- This document does not apply to Office files prior to Office 97 as those file types are not supported by the Windows IFilters.
- If the missing information is Credit Card Numbers (CCNs) and the Office file type is Excel, please also refer to the topic, "Missing Credit Card Number (CCN) results in Microsoft Excel Spreadsheets."
Identity Finder uses the Windows IFilter, Offfilt.dll (usually located in c:\windows\system32) to extract text from Microsoft Office files. This file is the same file used by Window Search and SharePoint Server and is frequently updated by Microsoft. The version of the filter that ships with some versions Windows is known to be extremely deficient and has been superseded. If your Offfilt.dll file version is 2006.0.5730.0 or older, you are likely to miss matches and should perform an upgrade. Version 2006.0.5732.0 is available from Microsoft:
- Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/915800
- Windows Server 2003: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959998
For Windows 7, your Offfilt.dll should be version 2008.0.7600.16385 or later. For earlier operating systems, if your Offfilt.dll is already 2006.0.5732.0 or later, please try adding a Custom Type of "1" (without the quotes) and running the search so that you can see the file in the preview and then determine what was/was not extracted. You can then provide this information in a support request and our support team can investigate further.