Posted: 2/1/2010, Updated: 9/12/2013
Whenever a new setting is added to an Identity Finder client or a change is made to an existing setting, a new version of the policy definitions is published. Before these settings can be added to policies, it is necessary to update the definitions. Under most circumstances, the updates can be downloaded and applied via the console application; however, if the console server does not have internet access, if the Identity Finder website is blocked via a firewall, or other communication issue occurs, a manual update may be required.
Update via the Console Application
To update the policy definitions via the console application, perform the following steps:
- Log in to the Console with a web browser.
- Navigate to the Settings > Resources page.
- If the button labeled, "Download and Install Update" is not displayed, then the definitions are current. If the button is displayed, click it to download and install the latest updates.
- It may be necessary to log out, clear the web browser cache, restart the browser, and log in before the definitions update takes effect.
If the update fails for any reason, perform the manual update process described below.
To manually update the policy definitions, perform the following steps:
- Download the latest policy definitions.
- Copy the policydefinitions.xml file to the console server.
- Log in to the console server desktop on the server itself, using Terminal Services (RDP), or any other remote desktop management software.
- Stop the IIS Server (or just the web site running the console application).
- Rename the policydefinitions.xml file to definitions.xml.
- Navigate to the appropriate directory on the console server. The default location is:
C:\Program Files\Identity Finder Console\wwwroot\Console\App_Data\definitions.xml
- Rename definitions.xml to definitions.xml.old
- Move the downloaded and renamed definitions.xml file into the App_Data folder.
- Start the IIS Server (or just the web site running the console application, if that was the only one stopped).
- Open the web browser that will be used to connect to the console, clear the browser cache, and restart the browser.
- Open the web browser used in step 10, log in to the Console, navigate to the Settings, Resources page and confirm that the, "Current Version" under, "Policy Definitions" displays the version number listed on the first line of the xml file.
The following article may also be helpful: